Singapore is a great place to shop for electronics: the small city-state has many first-class brands and products at affordable prices.
However, before we dive into the details of shopping in Singapore, it is worth noting that Singapore is not always the cheapest option, and therefore, before you get puzzled by buying a phone or camera in this city, you should carefully study all the options offered.
Two basic rules to follow
Rule #1: Price check
If you do not know where to buy electronics in Singapore check the shops and official online retailers operating in the city for the local price. It is possible to find the product you need at an attractive price in connection with some promotion carried out by a store or manufacturer.
Then browse the websites of the official Singaporean manufacturers to find out the price of the electronics you are looking for. Most manufacturers list their recommended retail price (RRP) online.
Rule #2: Quality check
When a product’s value is too good to be true, it probably is. When prices exceed the RRP, do not buy the item. When items that are supposed to be sold with the item listed on the box or website are sold separately, do not buy them.
Singapore places for shopping
First of all, it should be noted that there are official stores here – they have price tags, you cannot bargain, there are guarantees and Tax-free.
Tax-free is a tax refund for purchases over 100 SGD. 6% of the purchase amount is returned, excluding service charges. The tax refund has its final term – no later than two months.
There are also unofficial shops – they don’t show price tags, they can bargain, they don’t give guarantees, or they can even cheat.
Here’s the list which will help you to figure out where to buy electronics in Singapore:
- Orchard Road – all kinds of boutiques and shops are located here.
- Funan IT Mall is an electronics mall located on Bridge Road. Even locals shop in this store. There is a huge selection of phones, laptops, cameras, etc. You cannot bargain here – prices are fixed. They sell only originals, but they can give a USB flash drive as a bonus.
- Marina Bay Sands is a huge shopping center. There are a lot of household appliances here, you can choose different options, and the prices are reasonable.
- Funan Digitalife Mall – a mall that sells high-quality modern electronics, cameras, phones.
- Sim Lim Square – it is profitable to purchase simple electronics and photographic equipment here. For individual cameras, the price can be two times lower than in other shops. Experienced shopaholics advise avoiding floors 1-3 (those for tourists).
Shopping districts in Singapore
The most famous shops in Singapore are in shopping centers, and the largest of them are located in the central area of the city: Suntec City Mall, Millenia Walk, The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, and Raffles Hotel Shopping Arcade. Shopping here is mostly expensive, they offer luxury brands, local fashion designer galleries, and museum boutiques.
Orchard Road is the most famous shopping street in the city, there are many shopping centers and mono-brand boutiques (mostly luxury), including one of the most popular shopping centers in Singapore – ION Orchard.