Fishing can be one of the greatest pleasures of a man’s life. Casting the pole on the side of the kayak and wait quietly while enjoying the tranquil surroundings. It is the ultimate stress-relieving experience what you take home from these trips, not the catch.
However, If you want to increase your chances of catching some big fish, you should consider buying a good fishing kayak for your fishing ventures in the waters. Kayak fishing has come a long way since its inception in the mid ’50s. With the advancement of technology, kayaks became a reliable tool for leisure fishing enthusiasts.
But, over the course of this advancement, kayaks became more expensive than the previous edition. Some of them got so far in the price chart that a typical fishing enthusiast would think twice before buying them. Today I will be discussing 10 cheap fishing kayaks of 2019 that would serve your purpose without making a dent in your wallet
Things We Will Discuss
As the name of the article suggests, this article is all about best sub $1000 kayaks currently available on Amazon. I am going to name the top ten cheap fishing kayaks of 2019. I will also describe the key features, pros and cons of each kayak. Then I will express my views about the product as the bottom line.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the ‘water’ with the first one of my list.
10 Best Budget Kayak for Fishing in 2020
1. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and...
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy...
Intex Excursion Pro is a two-person inflatable kayak that can carry loads up to 300lbs. It not only looks modern but also comes with some fresh and handy features. The price tag is also as attractive as the overall looks of the kayak.
- It has sufficient storage space in both the bow and the stern along with steel rings for tying down extra baggage
- Adjustable and removable mounting bracket is very much useful for additional gadgets like GPS tracker, fishing rod holder, and fish finder
- This kayak includes two bucket seats with floor-mounted footrests, two side-mounted fishing rod holders, and two removable skews
- Made with super-tough laminated PVC for a long service period
- Loads of adjustable features
- High pressure inflation with spring-loaded valves
- Not the best option for tall anglers as the legroom is not quite generous
- Tracking is just ok compared to other kayaks
Outstanding value for money product as the asking price on Amazon is just shy of $130. If you are running on a small budget, then this one should be a no-brainer for you
2. Sevylor Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use , NMMA certified
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
Sevylor’s Colorado is one of the most popular kayaks among serious anglers. Built with super tough 18-gauge PVC, this kayak is very much reliable in any circumstances. The kayak is a bit expensive compared to the previous one we discussed, but the quality is hugely improved with all those extra bucks.
- 840D nylon cover and 1000D tarpaulin bottom make the kayak resistant to punctures
- This kayak has multiple air chambers. So if one is punctured, you can get to the shore with the other inflated chamber
- Mesh storage space on the side of the kayak creates an easily reachable storing space for all your gears
- Other features include D-rings for extra gear attachment and double threaded Boston valve for easy inflation and deflation
- Hands-free fishing experience with Berkley quick set rod holders
- Easy trolling motor fitting option for effort-free kayaking
- Super durable construction for long service life
- Instructions for setting up the kayak is extremely generic. First time users may find it difficult to configure
It is a quality fishing kayak with plenty of useful features that can help you to land lots of fishes. The under $300 pricing is also attractive, especially when you’re getting the right kayak.
3. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- Constructed of uv-protected high-density Polyethylene. Multiple footrest positions for different size riders. Stable...
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort. Two flush mounted fishing rod holders. One top mount fishing rod...
The US-based conglomerate, Lifetime is famous for their stable kayaks. Their Tamarack Angler 100 is not an exception to that. The flat bottom of this kayak improves stability to a great extent.
- It is constructed with high-density UV-protected polyethylene (HDEP) so that the exterior color won’t fade away in the sunlight
- Multiple adjustable footrest options make ever taller persons extremely comfortable
- This kayak comes with lots of storage options such as dual 6″ storage compartments in centre and rear, one paddle keeper enhanced with shock cords, and t-handles for tying up luggage
- It has a total of three fishing rod holders. Two flush-mounted and another one is top-mounted
- Up to 275lbs carrying capacity sufficient for bulkier guys
- 5-year limited warranty for any manufacturing defects
- Deep hull tracking channels and chain rails for added stability
- Multiple color options for everyone’s need
- The exterior coloring is a bit dull compared to other kayaks
This is one of the best entry-level kayaks not only for fishing but also for canoe sprints. If you are looking for an excellent stable kayak for your hobby, then consider it for buying.
4. SunDolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
- Great for lakes and rivers and to get to those excluded fishing spots
- Lightweight, easy to carry.Retractable carrying handles
SunDolphin is another kayak manufacturing giant, who are making kayaks for decades now. Like their other products, Journey sit-on-top kayak is also ideal for fishing in lakes.
- Dual flush-mounted rod holders and a single swivel rod holder so that you could enjoy the serene atmosphere of the lake while the rods are doing their thing
- Open cockpit design for easy entry and comfortable padded bucket seat with manual adjustment options
- Large portable accessory carrier which can hold all your fishing gears comfortably
- Protected padding on the side of the kayak which prevents anglers’ thighs from scratching
- Lightweight and easy to carry with retractable carrying handles
- Equipped with tracks and paddles for better stability
- Made from rugged high-density polyethylene for the extended service period
- If you’re over 275lbs, then this kayak is not for you
- Only a single angler can ride at a time
It is a good value for money kayak for an average-sized person. Its superb tracking and paddling ability makes it perfect for lakes and ponds.
5. BKC RA220 11.6′ Single Fishing Kayak
- Rudder Control: Features a foot pedal-operated rudder for ultimate control in all water conditions and without paddle...
- Rod Holders: Twin flush-mount rod holders keep fishing poles out of the way during paddling or keep lines in the water...
We are going into deeper waters now with Brooklyn Kayak Company’s RA220. This is one of the higher end kayaks with serious pricing. This is a solo use model which can take loads up to 450lbs.
- This model comes with integrated Rudder control which can be accessed through the foot pedals. This system gives you ultimate control over the kayak in every water condition
- This wide-body kayak delivers such stability that an angler can stand on it during a catch without tumbling the kayak much
- You can put enough supplies for a multiple-day adventure tour in RA220’s watertight storage area, and you will still have some storage left for your personal belongings
- Like the other kayak, this one also has the customary dual flush mounted rod holders
- The bucket chair is exceptionally comfortable for long hauled fishing expeditions
- This product comes in 5 exciting color options
- Weighing only 68lbs, this kayak can be transferred from one place to another in a hatchback
- Two compartments of waterproof storage space
- If you have long feet, you will face troubles standing on this kayak
With features like Rudder control and large cargo area, this kayak can be genuinely beneficial for your fishing trips. But to own this thing, you have to be generous with your budget.
6. Lifetime Two Person Tandem Fishing Kayak
- Versatile Design Allows for Solo or Tandem Paddling
- 10-Foot Compact Length for Easy Transport and Storage
This is the second inductee on my list which comes from the house of Lifetime. Tandem is the two-person variant of their famous model Tamarack. Like Tamarack, it is also popular among veteran anglers.
- The 6” storage hatch, situated in the stern, is pretty spacious for all the resources needed for a long day of fishing
- This kayak can take weights up to 500lbs. So, a minimum of two and a maximum of three people can sit on the kayak at a time
- Lifetime Tandem comes with dual adjustable backrests and multiple footrests maximizing the comfort levels of the anglers
- The superior built quality contributes to a prolonged life cycle. You can effortlessly use this durable kayak for a decade
- 5 years limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Additional Trolling motor fitting mount for more effortless ventures
- UV-protected and leak proof HDPE polyethylene exterior
- Being a two-person kayak, you will have to put up some effort transferring it
This is an ideal kayak for tandem fishing. The pricing is also attractive when you consider the included set of double-sided paddles and paddle clips.
7. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90
- KEY FEATURES | 1-person sit on top fishing kayak - 9ft, 42lb, fishing and rec kayak perfect for throw and go fishing
- MOUNT FOR ACCESSORIES | Includes 4 flush-mount rod holders.
Vibe Skipjack 90 is regarded as one of the most elegant compact kayak available in the market right now. This single-user kayak is known for its portability and easy transit process. This all-adventure recreational fishing kayak is all you need to conquer every piece of water
- This leak-proof and durable kayak is engineered for greater stability in the water
- Comfort is a highlight of this kayak as it possesses two cushioned seats with backrest and four quick-reach fishing rod holders
- This kayak comes with a universal mount for fish finding transducer and four molded in carrying handles
- two bungee paddle parks along with 6” waterproof cargo space is all the storage area you will need in day-long fishing ventures
- Built-in cup-holders and ergonomic seating arrangement for a comfortable trip
- Made from ultra-stable rotomoulded single piece polyethylene
- 6x Scupper holes with plugs improve the overall safety of the kayak
- Weighing only 46lbs for easy transportation
- Being only 9 feet long, it is a challenge to use it in open waters or oceans
This lightweight kayak is excellent for weekend fishing trips in your nearby lake. You can easily fit this kayak on the back of your SUV. So, if your requirement is a compact kayak, your search ends here
8. Perception Pescador Pro 10
- Your perfect first fishing kayak - Made in USA
- Lawn chair style mesh seat with 2-level seat adjustment and breathable mesh for ultimate all-day comfort and no pain
Perception Pescador Pro 10 is a multi-utility midsized kayak that can be used for fishing as well as for roaming around the lakes. The sit-on-top design provides generous storage and accessories mounting options.
- This kayak comes with a removable two-level pro seat made from breathable mesh fabric for extra comfort during lengthy fishing trips
- Quick-adjust footrests are useful for adjusting it according to the size of the angler
- Large bungee lashed open storage in both bow and stern side for gears like a bucket, a cooler and other stuff
- Dual molded-in rod holders along with factory fitted fish finding consoles are a perfect setup for catching lots of fish
- The replaceable skid plate is ideal for dragging the kayak without any damage
- Durable construction with high density polyethylene and marine-grade EVA foam
- The maximum carrying capacity of 325lbs
- Multi-level seat adjustment capability for relaxed paddling and optimum casting
- 57lbs weight for a single person kayak is a bit much compared to other similar products
If comfort is your main priority when choosing a kayak, then this one perfectly fits your requirement. Perception Pescador Pro is also suitable for amateurs as it offers excellent stability in the waters.
9. BKC UH-TK181 Sit On Top Tandem Fishing Kayak
- 7 Rod Holders: The Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC UH-TK181 Sit on Top Tandem Kayak features 3 articulated fishing rod...
- Waterproof Storage Hatches: Stash a wallet, keys, snacks, and more in the twin watertight storage compartments, which...
BKC UH-TK 181 is the penultimate entrant of my list. This kayak from Brooklyn Kayak Company is specially made for fishing in deep waters. This is a serious fishing kayak which could hold several lines and two anglers at a time.
- This thing has a staggering total of 14 rod holders. Seven standard rod holders along with three articulated ones as well as four mount capped flush rod holders allowing users to spread several lines at the same time
- This kayak comes with two deluxe seats and adjustable dual footrests for optimization of angler’s comfort
- There are two separate waterproof storage hatch for storing essential things like keys and wallets conveniently located under paddler’s leg space
- Having four carrying handles makes this kayak easy to carry around for two people
- Bungee tied open-headed rear storing space and dual watertight storage area
- Twin secured paddle rests for stacking the paddles while not in use
- Multiple rod holders for the maximum number of bites
- Included accessories such as two 86-inch aluminium paddles and two cushiony seats
- Weighing 86lbs, this kayak can give you a major headache while loading and unloading in a car
This is a big spacious kayak with maximum rod holding capacity. So, if you want to maximize the number of your catch and willing to pay some extra bucks for a reliable kayak, you can check this one out.
10. Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130
- KEY FEATURES | 1-person sit on top fishing kayak - 13ft 75lbs fishing kayak that offers best of speed and stability
- MOUNT FOR ACCESSORIES | Includes 2 flush-mount rod holders and 4 integrated gear tracks for customized rigging
The last entrant of my list comes from the house of Vibe Kayaks. This 13-foot long kayak is compact enough for one person rowing it at a reasonable speed. It is also one of the most stable single-person kayaks available in the market. An angler can stand on it without making it unstable.
- Sleek haul design makes this kayak fast and nimble tracking while the toe control rudder enables to travel reach places even faster
- Angler’s comfort is top-notch with a multi-positioned breathable chair on top and adjustable foot braces down at the bottom
- Four phantom-grip comfy carrying handles enable users to carry around this kayak effortlessly
- Six top loading gear mounts with side bungee paddle parks make ultimate customization possible
- Ample rear storage space with bungee protection for storing fishing equipment
- 2 x tackle tray holders that fit Plano tackle trays and 8” deck plate with a watertight cargo bag
- 10 scupper holes with plugs for faster inflation and deflation
- Being 13 foot long yet could fit just a single person is the only downside of this kayak
This can be a spacious and useful kayak for the day-long fishing journey. This model is specifically great for use is lakes and slow-flowing river. Still, you can take it in other places also.
Now as we have finished our list of top 10 best cheap fishing kayaks, let’s move on to the next part, how to choose the one between these kayaks.
Things to Know Before Buying a Fishing Kayak
There are some certain specifications and features you need to check you before being hung up on a particular kayak. If you are an amateur in kayaking, then these are the things to know before buying a fishing kayaks.
Length of the kayak
This length of a kayak has a dramatic impact on the performance of the kayak. While the shorter kayaks are easily maneuverable and best for small ponds, the longer ones are much faster and best suited in large lakes and rivers. So the length depends on the water you’re going to fish
Stability in water
Stability is a critical aspect of every kayak. A good kayak should be stable enough to hold it’s angler in a standing position. Usually, the broader models are more stable than the narrow-body kayaks. But if you have to travel a great distance, you have to take a narrow body kayak for more comfortable paddling
It is essential for a kayak to have enough room for all your fishing accessories. Some of the kayaks have integrated storage like live wells while others have molded areas for external storing of items like milk crates and coolers
Kneel or no kneel
Kneel is a fin-shaped plastic that sticks into the water from the kayak’s hull for improved tracking. Many kayaks have inbuilt kneel while the others have removable ones. If you’re going into deep water, a kneel is a must. But, if you are fishing in shallow rocky water, a kneel might create obstacles
Space for electronics
When you are going on a long trip, you have to take some electronics such as your phone, Bluetooth speaker, a power bank etc. These electronic gadgets are prone to water damage. So you must store them in a watertight storing area.
Kayaks are getting more substantial than ever. All those new technologies are adding up weights, thus making the kayaks less portable day by day. However, you can still find some kayaks under 50lbs which can be carried in the trunk of a car easily
Addition of an electronic anchor like PowerPole Micro can be hugely beneficial if you are going to fish in open waters more often. But then it will add some weight to your kayak. So fix your mind whether you need to be anchored down frequently or not.
I hope this article of mine could guide you well enough to let you decide for yourself. Always keep your needs in your mind while selecting a kayak. Also, you need to have a clear idea of the waters you are going to fish frequently. Choose a kayak that will be most beneficial in that water body.
If you like this article, do let us know via commenting down below. Also, tell us the kayak you have chosen. Follow our page for more such utilitarian articles in the future.