Often times, people only need a lawyer when they are in a bad situation. You may have been involved in an accident, and you start receiving calls from doctors, insurance companies, and the police even before you heal your wounds. All these happenings may become too overwhelming for you to handle. This is the moment when an injury lawyer can help you. A personal injury lawyer provides legal representation to individuals who have sustained injuries in an accident. A personal injury lawyer will also pursue compensation for you. The attorney works in tort law, which includes both negligent and intentional acts. Continue reading to discover how a personal injury lawyer can help you.
- Explain your Rights. A personal injury lawyer will explain how an accident and other legal issues will affect your rights. Every state has its own laws on how the statutes of limitations or comparative negligence affect a case. Since personal injury lawyers often work on a contingency fee basis, they always take great care when evaluating the merits of your case. The attorney will not work on a case that he or she believes will not lead to a win. As such, your lawyer will tell you in advance whether there is a possibility of winning the case.
- Evidence. Personal injury lawyers will gather evidence to support your claim. The lawyers may procure any police or incident report. Your attorney may also track down any witness and record their statements. He or she may also use a professional photographer to take pictures of the accident report. The lawyer can also collect evidence from your dash camera. The evidence collected will determine who caused the accident and the extent of damage you have suffered. The evidence may also include your medical report, bill, employment documents, and property damage reports.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies. Some insurance companies will avoid compensating you, especially if they know that you do not understand your rights. A personal injury lawyer can help you in this process. He or she will review the insurance policy and establish the maximum level of compensation that you should claim. Your lawyer will also handle every communication with the insurance company to prevent you from doing anything that may jeopardize your claim.
- Preparing Pleadings. In case your insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, a personal injury lawyer can help you file a complaint against the defendant. The lawyer will explain to the court why the defendant is responsible for the accident. He or she will also state the amount that you are seeking as compensation. The court will then give the defendant a maximum of 30 days to respond to your complaint.
- Court Representation. If the case goes to trial, a personal injury lawyer will represent you in court. Personal injury attorneys understand the court’s procedures and customs. As such, they will ensure that the court follows every step. They will also provide you advice on how to handle the case.
In case you are injured in an accident caused by someone else, it is crucial to have a personal injury lawyer by your side. Seek out, https://www.cummingslewis.com/ as they have the necessary resources to help you with your case.