When looking for flooring options that are easy on maintenance, low cost and still leaves an aesthetically appealing appearance – ask for concrete. Wooden floors, vitrified tiles and plain cement are few other contemporary options. But concrete is one of the oldest and most durable options for residential and commercial buildings.
Concrete polishing is one of the major home improvement solutions that add a significant facelift to any lifeless home. The polish is no regular material; the latest techniques with state-of-the-art methods bring a sleek shiny finish. A combination of gravel, cement, water and sand with chemical densifiers creates magic on the floorings. The ground mixture of broken concrete with diamond finishing tools leaves a smooth and glossy appearance.
Advantages of polished concrete
- The entire flooring gets a smooth and shiny look that adds extra gloss to the interiors.
- Concrete floors are easy to maintain. Just one wet sweep will leave your house with spectacular looking floors.
- It is perfect for animal lovers and a house with kids. The food crumbs and hairs on the floor are not very visible because of the colourful concrete. So, it becomes easy to vacuum it.
- The concrete gives an anti-slip finish. You do not have to worry about small children running around or senior members of the family.
- It makes an ideal choice not just for living spaces but also for kitchen, bathrooms and utility areas.
- Polished concrete is an excellent option for interior and exterior spaces. You can get architecturally beautiful outdoor spaces by adding sliding doors.
- Concrete floorings are excellent for insulation. Underfloor heating is one vital advantage of polished concrete.
Basic polishing steps: It is a professional job, and therefore, it is better to hire contractors for the entire procedure. It is not a do-it-yourself project. The whole process requires the handling of chemicals and heavy machinery. Here are the steps to understand this process better.
- Remove existing coatings using 16-20 grit diamond abrasive tools.
- Reseal the cracks and joints with epoxy filler.
- Grind 30-40 grit metal bonded diamond
- Grind with 80 grit metal bonded diamond
- Grind with 150 grit metal bonded diamond
- After all this, the application of chemical hardeners thickens the concrete.
- Start the polishing work: polish with 100 to 200 grit resin bond diamond.
- Again, polish with 400 grit resin bond diamond.
- Final polish with 800 grit resin bond diamond.
- Another last, 1500-3000 grit resin bonded diamond for the perfect sheen.
- You can either apply a stain guard to get 100% protection or leave it.
Concrete floor polish pricing: There are many factors for consideration to ascertain the pricing of concrete flooring polish.
- Area of the floor for polishing.
- The present condition of the floor (damages, joints missing, renovations if any)
- The total size of the house includes the kitchen concrete tops also.
- The type of finish as an outcome (100% glossy look, average shine, matte look)
- Price of the contractors.
Give your three-decades-old house a new look by getting epoxy finish floorings before Christmas and surprise your loved ones.