If the kind of work you do makes you sit for long hours every day, lower back pain will be a problem for you at some point in time. Irrespective of how active you are, sitting for hours in one place can be quite damaging. With the current work-from-home scenario for many, the problem has aggravated as we’re confined within limited spaces. The best way to reduce a lower back problem is to add exercises that cater to it. Here, we will discuss on some of the best and easy stretches of lower back pain to fight the problem before it gets severe.
There are many back stretches for flexibility that can relieve yourself from the pain completely. These exercises are useful as it does not act as a temporary relief. It strengthens your back to get rid of the pain and to help you prevent further damage.
Why should you do lower back stretches regularly?
Lower back injury is very common. Lifting heavy weights or just slipping and falling can become quite a nuisance in your life. If you ignore this injury, it can lead to severe problems and affect your daily work. Chronic injury in the lower back is often the cause of arthritis. This results in the drawing of the fluid in the backbone. These fluids are shock absorbers, so when dried up, it can lead to permanent damage. This is why you should pay attention to your lower back when it hurts. Even the smallest daily activity can worsen the condition. This is why you need to act fast and try to get rid of the problem permanently and not for some hours.
You must check out the stretches for lower back pain as you scroll below. However, if you have severely injured your lower back, these exercises will not help you much. You would require a doctor’s care. See which exercises are suitable for you and build your flexibility. Keep doing these exercises even when you feel better to get a stronger lower back. Try also to maintain a good diet and proper posture to keep your lower back healthy.
Stretches for lower back pain
There are many exercises that you can do to improve your lower back health. These are some of the best that will help you relieve the pain as fast as possible. These exercises can be done anywhere. You can do the stretches on a yoga mat. Wear comfortable clothes when you are doing the exercises, and if it hurts too much, do not exert yourself. For more information regarding the effectiveness of the training, particularly for you, you can consult a physician. The most effective stretches for lower back pain are as follows:
1. Child’s posture
This is probably the most well-known stretches for lower back pain. It is incredibly useful and can be done by people of any age. It is a straightforward stretching exercise that you can do this at any point in the day. This stretching exercise has been done for or thousands of years as it is one of the basic ayurvedic yoga postures. It helps strengthen your gluteus maximus, spinal extensors as well as the hamstrings. It does relieve not only your lower back pain but also pain on your neck spine as well as shoulders.
The posture helps relax your body while also loosening the tight contracting lower back muscles. It gets the blood circulation happening smoothly and also makes you more flexible. To do this pose effectively, follow the steps given below:
- Lie down on the ground with your knees and the palm on the ground.
- You would then move back as your hips touch your heels.
- Your hips would act like hinges as it moves forward, and you would do if you would have to walk on your hands in front of you. You are putting pressure on your hands to pull your body forward.
- Keep your arms extended in front of you, and your palms firmly stuck to the ground.
- You would have to focus on your breathing. Every time you move your hips backward, breathe in, and then breathe out slowly as you move forward.
- You can also hold the pose for up to 1 minute while taking slow deep breaths.
- You can add this stretching exercise into your workout and do it in between other stretching exercises.
- If your back hurts a lot and you need some extra support, you can use a rolled-up towel or a side pillow. You can also widen your needs or use a question for your forehead when you move forward.
2. Knee-to-chest stretching
This is one of the simplest stretches for lower back pain. It helps you lengthen or stretch the muscle groups in the lower back that is hurting by staying in a contracted manner. The following steps are going to help you do this exercise effectively.
- Start by lying on your back. Your back should be straight.
- You should then bend your knees so that your feet are lying on the ground flatly.
- You would then have to bring palms to the knees. Also, you can hold the knees from just behind your knee caps or even on top. Do what makes you comfortable.
- Slowly pull your knees to your chest with your hands. Do not exert much pressure on your legs. Your hands are to be used to stretch the bent legs.
- Hold the position for at least 20 seconds. You can go up to 30 seconds and move your hips in any convenient direction or motion. This way, you will be able to massage your back.
- Slowly release your legs back to its original position and repeat this a few times. Do not jerk any part of your body while doing the exercise. Be in control of the motion with your hands, but also be gentle. Do not exert unnecessary pressure on your lower back as it will do you no good.
- When you are comfortable with this exercise, you can repeat the movement with both legs at the same time.
3. Cat and Cow stretching
This touching exercise is beneficial, and it will help you increase you not only flexibility but also to ease the pain that you are feeling in your lower back. It will also help you work on your core muscles. To do this exercise goes through the following steps:
- Lie down on your hands and knees. Your knees should be spread apart to the width of your hips.
- You then have to arch your back.
- Your head should drop forward, making of cat-like posture.
- Hold the position for at least five seconds, and you will feel a stretch in the lower back region.
- Return to the starting position and raise your head upwards now.
- Your pelvic region should fall forward now, and your back should move towards the floor. This is the cow part.
- This position should also be held for at least 5 seconds, after which you should return to the starting position.
- Repeat the alternating movements for at least 15 reps.
4. Trunk Rotation stretching
This brilliant stretching exercise helps you relief on your lower back and strengthens your core muscles. It specifically targets your abdominals, the muscles near the pelvic region, including the back muscles. To do this exercise, go through the steps given below:
- Lie down on your yoga mat. You should keep your body as straight as possible.
- Then bring your knees to your chest, mimicking the posture of sitting in a chair.
- You would then have to extend your arms to the sides. The palm of your hand should face down on the floor.
- Keep your knees together, and the farm fixed on the ground, then gently roll the bent knees over to the left side. You should hold this position for around 20 seconds.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat for the other side as well.
- Do at least five reps for each side.
5. Rotation of the flexion
This stretching exercise is going to target the muscles of your lower back and buttocks. To do this exercise, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Lie down on yoga mat and turn to your right side
- Your legs should be straight
- You would then have to bend your left leg bringing the foot close to your right knee
- Hook the left foot behind the right knee firmly
- Then you would have to bring your right arm to your left knee. Hold the knee without straining yourself.
- Gently start to rotate your upper body backward. Do not rush yourself.
- You should be able to bend your body, and your left shoulder blade should touch the floor.
- You will feel a mild itching in the lower back region.
- Do the same thing for your left side as well. You should do the exercise for ten reps for three seconds each.
6. Pelvic tilt exercise
The pelvic tilt exercise is one of the best stretches for lower back and hip pain and is straightforward and effective. Get ready to strengthen your abdominal region’s muscles, which will help you the pain and tightness that your feeling in your lower back. This exercise will also help you build your flexibility while making your hamstrings and glutes get tightened. To do this, exercise effectively follows the steps given below:
- Lie down on your yoga mat with your knees bent. Your feet should lie flat on the floor with your hands by your side.
- You will notice that your back’s natural curve is going to lift you slightly from the floor. This is normal.
- You should be able to move your lower back gently. Do this by pushing your stomach out. Hold this position for at least 5 seconds to 10 seconds. You will notice a strain at your core. Then go back to the first place slowly.
- Then you need to push your pelvic region slightly up. Do not force your pelvic so much that it leaves the floor. This movement will tighten the muscle groups near the abdominal area. When you are doing this, you will feel your lower back getting pressed on the floor. Hold this position for up to 10 seconds as well.
- The pressing motion of your lower back is going to give it a massaging effect.
- You should do this exercise for at least ten reps when you are starting. As you continue to do this, you can do up to thirty reps per set.
7. The supported bridge exercise
You would have to get a hold of firm cushion or even a foam roller to do this exercise. This exercise will help you relax the contracted muscles in your lower back by using the pillow as support. Go to the steps given below to do this exercise:
- Lay down on the mat with your knees bent and your arms flat on the floor. Keep your feet flat.
- Now you need to lift your hips and place the question beneath it.
- Relax your body on the cushion.
- Hold the position for at least 30 seconds to a minute. You can repeat this for up to 5 times.
When you search for stretches for lower back pain, you might be confused by the sheer number of times people advise you. This is where this list is going to help you. All of the stretches are pretty simple, and you can do it without facing many issues. Do not worry anymore and fear of being and productive due to lower back issues. Get ready to try out these stretches and see your pain go away faster than ever before.
Many people enjoyed their lower back every other day. We all know that it is widespread, and relying upon over-the-counter pain ointments gives only temporary relief. You need something that is going to help you out for a long time. This is why you should do these amazing stretch exercises. You should continue to do these exercises to keep the lower back more flexible even when you feel better. There is nothing better than regular exercise for the body, and these will surely help you get better.
Again, this is to remind you that a lower back can be much worse and can result in spinal injury. This is why you should not take it lightly and consult your doctor. Ask your doctor which exercises will be feasible for you and always listen to your body. Don’t exert yourself, give your back some rest and try out these stretches for lower back pain in a safe manner.