Glass jars are most popular for storing foods. However, they also have many other uses such as being made into unique home decor. The possibilities of making amazing crafts using glass jars are endless. It would only depend on how abundant your creative juices are.
So, why use glass jars to decorate your home? There are two great reasons for this. The first reason is they are great decorative materials: you can create classy, fun, and even simple designs using glass jars.
The second reason is they are cheap. You use old glass jars at home and turn them into something amazing. By simply painting the jars, you can turn them into great decorations. So, if you want to have an idea of how to use glass jars as decorations, here is our list:
1. A Message on a Jar
To start our list, here is a craft idea to boost one’s spirit. Use a glass jar to send an inspiring message to everyone. What you need for this project is:
- Glass jar
- Spray paint
- Thick foam stickers
- Select a short message to stick to your glass jar.
- Use the stickers to form the message on the jar. Make sure to arrange them creatively.
- Spray paint the jar with your color of preference. Allow a few hours to let it dry.
2. Snowman Jar
Christmas is fast approaching, and you should start thinking about holiday decorations. This craft idea is perfect for the coming holiday. What you need to create this idea are:
- Glass jar
- Frosty snow for crafting
- 2 red pom poms for the earmuffs
- Pipe cleaners (red and white)
- 2 black buttons
- Orange clay
- Glue gun
- Sponge brush
- Start by creating the snowman’s face. Mold the clay-like a shape of a carrot for the snowman’s nose.
- Use a glue gun to stick the buttons and the nose on the jar to form the face. The buttons will serve as its eyes.
- Brush the outside of the jar with glue using the sponge brush. Be careful not to destroy the eyes and nose while brushing.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of frosty snow on the jar, enough to cover it. You can do this over a plate to catch excess frosty snow. Set the jar aside.
- To make the earmuffs, cut the pipe cleaners in half.
- Twist the red and white pipe cleaners together. Make sure to create a candy cane pattern.
- Mold the twisted pipe cleaners in U shape, fitting the lid’s width.
- Stick each end of the pipe cleaners on the edge of the jar’s lid using a glue gun.
- Stick each pom pom on both sides of the lid, covering each end of the twisted pipe cleaners.
- Seal the jar with the earmuff-decorated lid.
3. Jack-o-Lantern Jar
Halloween is just a few days away, and like Christmas, you need decorations for it, too! You can make an elegant Jack-o-lantern using a glass jar. It is a great alternative to carving pumpkins. What you need are as follows:
- Glass jar
- Styrofoam block
- Brown paper crinkle
- Burlap garland
- Jute twine
- Spray glue
- Stain in orange
- Gloss enamel paint in orange and black
- LED light strand (battery operated)
- Press the jar upside down on the Styrofoam block to create a mark for later.
- Tint the inside of the jar with the orange stain. Make sure to tint the entire inside of the jar. Remove any tint excess by shaking the jar upside down.
- Turn the jar back upright after shaking and place it on a flat surface. This is to allow some swirl patterns of the tint going down the bottom. Let it dry.
- Draw the face of the jack-o-lantern using the black gloss enamel.
- Draw stripes on the outside of the glass using the orange gloss enamel. This creates a creepy effect on the lantern. Let the design dry.
- While waiting to dry, make your hay bale. Spray glue on the top and four outer sides of the foam.
- Stick the paper crinkle on the top and outer sides of the foam. Make sure to not include the part where you pressed the mouth of the jar on.
- Wrap the burlap around the sides of the Styrofoam.
- Secure the burlap with the jute twine.
- Place the LED light strand in the middle of the foam, the spot where you pressed the jar earlier.
- Turn the lights on and cover them with the mouth of the jar.
4. Glass Jar Vase with Sequins
Looking for an elegant centerpiece? Try this glass jar vase enhanced with sequins! This project is extremely simple and easy to make. You only need the following:
- Glass jar
- Sequins of your choice
- Use a brush to apply glue inside the jar. Make sure to include the bottom and the top of the jar.
- Pour the sequins into the jar and then shake.
- Leave it overnight to dry.
- Arrange the flowers in the vase and you are all set!
Note: Although this is a flower vase, it is not advisable to add water in it. It will remove the glue’s effect.
5. Hanging Pendant Light
Add an intimate vibe to your dining room with a hanging pendant light! The glass jar is a perfect material to bring out this unique project perfectly. For this craft idea, you will need six glass jars. If what you have at home is not enough, you can buy glass jars in bulk.
Make sure to get those from trusted manufacturers to ensure high quality. One manufacturer you can check out is Roetell. They offer different types of glass jars in different shapes and uses. They also customize jars based on branding and customer demands to make them personalized. You can order customizable glass jars in bulk from Roetell and get a discount while at it.
To make this project, you will also need these materials:
- Drills and bits
- 6 light bulbs
- Spray paint
- Light vanity strip
- Reclaimed barn wood (a thick one)
- Spray paint the light vanity strip with the color of your choice.
- Drill a hole in the barn wood for the electric wires.
- Drill one hole on each end of the barn wood and two in the middle. This is to secure the interior part of your light strip on the barn wood.
- Attach the exterior part of your light strip once the interior part is secured.
- Drill a large hole in the center of the jar’s lid for the socket.
- Drill two small holes on the outer sides of the huge hole.
- Fix the lids on the light strip by screwing them. Follow the small holes you did earlier for the screws.
- Drill four holes in the wood, two on each end, for the rope.
- Attach a ceiling hook above your dining table. This is for hanging the pendant light.
- As you tie the rope around the hook, secure the wires for the light.
- When everything is ready, attach the bulbs to the sockets.
- Enclose the bulbs with the jars, sealing the jars on the lids tightly.
- Switch on the pendant light and that’s it!
Using glass jars as a decoration is a unique way to boost your interior design. You can go from having it simple or a little complex. Make it as personalized as possible to best display your creativity. So, start making your own decor using glass jars now and be simply amazing!