Attaining good health should not be very difficult because there are easy ways to do it. Simple lifestyle changes can make a huge difference in your everyday health, keeping you away from different illnesses for a stronger immune system, greater stamina and endurance, and better psychological well-being.
In this post, you’ll learn how to improve your overall health with these top five changes.
- Change Your Sleeping Habits
Have you experienced not getting enough sleep and ending up so tired the next morning? Yes, lack of sleep can lead to low energy levels, less cognitive functioning, and stress and anxiety. Thus, a good night’s sleep plays a crucial role in your physical and psychological well-being.
Here are the good reasons why a good night’s sleep is important:
- Reduces Stress: Sleep deprivation can cause increased levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that causes increased fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Getting enough sleep promotes increased serotonin production or ‘feel-good’ hormone.
- Improves Cognitive Functioning: Quality sleep helps you process and remember things better.
- Regulate Blood Pressure: A restful sleep allows your heart muscles to relax. This will regulate your blood pressure.
- Boosts Immune System: During sleep, the body produces protein molecules that can boost immunity, which helps the body fight infection.
- Manages Weight: Hormones that regulate satiety and appetite are properly regulated with enough sleep. This will reduce high-calorie food cravings, most especially at night time.
- Change Your Diet
Your diet is your gateway to a healthy lifestyle. Eating the right foods, along with health supplements, allows you to enjoy the health benefits of natural foods, such as fruits and vegetables. A balanced diet keeps your body healthy and reduces your risk of chronic diseases.
Here are the small changes you can implement in your daily diet that’ll surely make huge changes in your health:
- Eat Slow: Eating foods slowly will allow you to chew food and decrease the risk of obesity. Hormones influence how much you eat, and they usually receive signals for about 20 minutes. Thus, eating more slowly gives enough time for these hormones to work to send signals and reach the brain to perceive that you’re already full.
- Pick Whole-Grain Bread: Instead of refined bread, which is high in sugar, pick whole-grain bread to help reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
- Eat Eggs: Eggs are high in protein and low in carbohydrates. It means that they’ll keep you full without accumulating fat.
- Drink Enough Water: Drinking water helps reduce appetite, which is beneficial to weight management.
- Reduce Intake of Fried Foods: The healthiest cooking methods include broiling, baking, stewing, pressure cooking, slow-cooking, and simmering.
- Change Your Bad Habits
Smoking and drinking alcohol are considered unhealthy for the body. While quitting smoking is tough, this is one thing that you need to do in order to improve your overall health.
If you find it really difficult to quit smoking, consider taking non-nicotine medications, such as varenicline (Chantix) or bupropion (Zyban). These drugs help reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
Here are some alternative methods to help you quit smoking:
- Tobacco strips
- Nicotine lollipops, straws, drinks, and lip balms
- Herbs and supplements
- Mindfulness, meditation, and yoga
You should remember that there are dangers of drinking alcohol, including liver disease, increased blood sugar levels, dependency, and digestive problems. You may experience alcohol withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, high blood pressure, increased sweating, tremors, irregular heartbeat, and nervousness.
- Change from Hard to Easy Exercises
Getting enough exercise can be challenging, but there are ways to keep things simple.
Here are some examples:
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator
- Instead of riding a car, try walking, most especially if you’re just heading into the grocery near you or to run some quick errands
- Instead of sitting frequently, find time to stand up and move regardless if you’re at home or in the office to help contract your muscles and promote proper blood circulation through movements
- Perform squats every day for at least ten minutes to promote ankle mobility, greater balance, and core-strengthening
- Change Your Perspective
Happiness, as many people say, is a choice. So, you have to choose wisely and attain a better perspective. How do you maintain a happier and more positive perspective?
Here are some examples:
- Reduce using gadgets during your leisure time. Instead, create quality time with your family by playing with your kids or sharing stories.
- Reduce external noise by insulating your room or your entire home, most especially if you’re living in city areas to reduce noise pollution.
- Learn to forgive and help other people. Doing good things will make you feel good about yourself and the world.
It’s possible to attain overall health by changing your unhealthy lifestyle. Quit smoking, reduce alcohol intake, get more sleep and exercise, and eat the right food.
It’s also important to keep your mental and emotional well-being safeguarded through meditation, charity works, and spending quality time with family and friends.