Freight shipping provides an efficient means to transport goods from one location to another through a container transportation company. These shipping companies use various modes, including air, land, rail, and sea. They handle the logistics required to deliver products from manufacturers to customers anywhere in the world. In other words, they are the middlemen, ensuring that large parcels get delivered effectively under a specified timeframe.
There are specific situations in which an individual can use a freight shipping service. First off, if the shipper is a manufacturing firm with no robust delivery platform. What does this mean? Small-sized companies may have a transportation department that handles the delivery of small products to various customers within a reachable location. However, they may not have the required capacity to ship to someone in another country or continent. For this reason, they can use a reputable container transportation company.
Additionally, freight shipping services applies to those who have large items to move through long distances, but at not within the scope of the standard parcel delivery firms. However, the problem lies in knowing how to go about moving such goods from one location to another. This guide explains all there is to know about hiring the services of a freight forwarder.
What Procedures are entailed in Freight Shipping?
Transporting large or bulky items through long distances can be stressful and time-consuming if there is no robust platform to facilitate this activity. However, using a freight company’s service can make a difference in timely delivery and customer satisfaction, especially for manufacturers. Besides, there are tons of paperwork required to process the shipping of various items to their respective recipients.
For individuals who are first-time shippers, it is essential to know how the freight delivery service works. Doing this will save them a lot of money and time moving items around. They are to familiarize themselves with specific documents that are required in this field, including bill of lading contract, certificate of origin statement, customs declaration, also known as commercial invoice, export packing list, export license, shippers export declaration document, and inspection certificate.
With these documents in hand, the freight shipping company can handle all transportation logistics required to move the specified goods to their destinations. However, it is necessary to know the delivery timeframe as well. But this cannot happen without understanding the freight shipping procedure. Interestingly, this aspect is covered in the following steps below:
- The manufacturer or shipper has to transport the items from their location to the freight company’s warehouse; this is known as export haulage.
- The shipping company secures clearance from the customs authorities to ship the goods from the country (for international shipping), which is known as export custom clearance.
- Once the items arrive at the destination country, the immigration authorities inspect them under the written documentation and ensure they meet specific rules and regulations. As such, the items undergo origin handling.
- If the goods meet the requirements, the authorities issue customs paperwork to back them – a process known as import customs clearance.
- At this point, designated logistics personnel transport the items to a warehouse or depot. This service is known as destination handling.
- The final step involves import haulage; this is where the goods are moved from the warehouse to their final destination.
Do All Items Qualify for Freight Shipping?
It is worth noting that there is strict compliance with the transportation of goods from one location to another, especially it transcends a national border. It this vein, not all goods qualify for shipping, depending on the country where they are domiciled. Hence, before moving goods using a container transportation company, kindly note those items that are legal and prohibited. For the latter, the following counts:
- Alcohol beverages
- Narcotics and other related hard substances
- Dangerous items, including those that are toxic, flammable, and hazardous
- Food items
- Weapons, like guns, grenades, and many more
- Perishable goods
How about companies that manufacture these products legally? One may ask. In that case, there are specific legalities to handle the shipping of such items. Additionally, the manufacturer understands international laws in regards to the transportation of these products from one country to another.
What Makes Freight Shipping Services Beneficial?
Shippers can save money, time, and other resources hiring the services of a freight shipping company. And why not? These professional firms take the burden off one’s shoulders by ensuring that large and bulky items are delivered to their recipients in time and one piece. Some of the merits of container transportation company include the following:
- Freight shipping companies provide optimum customer satisfaction by communicating with their clients on a professional level and updating them at each shipping phase. Hence, it is easy to build a long-term work relationship with them.
- These companies provide a vast network of business contacts for clients. What does this statement mean? Manufacturers can rate their delivery services and get recommendations from their clients and other producers.
- Services are not limited to shipping alone as freight delivery companies can also handle insurance, packaging, import and export documentation, inventory management, and storage of goods. However, such additional services may be included in the shipping invoice, depending on the company involved.
Preparing for Unforeseen Circumstances
Not all shipping goes as planned. There are times when things may go south. Hence, a shipper should ensure to hire a freight shipping company with a proven track record – one that can plan for the rainy days effectively. However, some situations occur, which are beyond the reach of a container transport company.
For example, there may be delays at the port of entry due to heavy traffic or specific implemented laws. The weather may not support moving goods across continents. At other times, pieces of shipping equipment can breakdown. These are factors that may delay the item delivery. Hence, an individual is left with the option to bear with the company or find another one.
Moreover, the shipper must ensure that all documents are up to date to prevent shipping delays, especially at customs. Some freight shipping companies specialize in specific services.
Freight shipping business takes away the stress entailed in transporting large and bulky goods across great distances. It provides safety and comfort, as compared to the traditional delivery system. Finding the right shipping company can provide long-term benefits.