Home theatres are used to create a cinematic experience at home. They often include big screens, multiple speakers, surround sound systems, DVD players, streaming devices, and other electronic equipment that might blow your power supply system if directly connected to the outlet. Thatís why we use a home theatre power manager to manage power.
The system has various other uses and benefits. The need of size and type of your device also vary from person to person. Purchasing any device might get you in trouble and risk devices worth lakhs.
This article explains everything about a home theatre power manager. How does it work, which one will suit your need, and what are the benefits of having such a device! Also, check out the best products and all the other details you must know before putting your hard-earned money into it. Read till the end to have complete information.
What is a home theatre power manager?
A home theatre power manager looks similar to a blue ray DVD player but has multiple sockets to insert the plug. Instead of directly connecting the plug to your home power supply, connect them to the power manager and then connect the power managerís plug to your home supply.
It works as a stabilizer that smoothens the spike of power supply voltages and safeguards your electronic devices from power fluctuation.
Electric signals are not static, but they fluctuate now and then. The impact is much more when you turn on the devices. Other issues like lightning, thunder, frequent power cuts, dirty electricity, etc., are also responsible for fluctuating electric signals.
A power manager is a shield to your electronic gadgets. It protects them from blowing out due to spikes, Noise, surges, and dips in voltage. It comes in a simple design; anyone can complete the setup by reading the manual or watching a few videos.
Modern devices are technologically advanced and provide the feature of AVM (Automatic Voltage Monitoring). It constantly monitors incoming Alternating current voltage for monetary spikes, under-voltage, and over-voltage. They automatically regulate the voltage and provide a static current supply to your power devices.
These power managers also indicate ďsafeĒ or ďunsafe.Ē Whenever you see itís unsafe, remove your connected devices and plugin again when itís safe to do so.
On what concept does it work?
This part is a bit technical but will help you understand the core concepts of a home theatre power manager system, which will help you make a better decision.
As we said, electricity is unstable, including Noise in Electricity and Dirty Electricity.
Any unwanted sound is Noise. Similarly, any unwanted electrical signal is Noise in electricity. So, where does this Noise come from?
Many electronic components like smartphones, laptops, computers, and more require a DC power supply (Direct Current). But the type of supply we get in our homes is AC (Alternative Current).
These gadgets convert the AC supply to DC to function. During the process, some inefficient signals are introduced back to the main supply, bringing frequent fluctuations to household circuits, and we refer to them as Noise.
This is the main reason for fluctuations in supply, but there are others, too, like Electromagnetic Interference, radio signals, weather, etc.
The fluctuating electricity, mixed with the Noise from our power outlet, is known as Dirty electricity. It is known to cause irreversible damage to electronic equipment that, at times, might blow the core circuit and make the device useless.
Modern power devices like refrigerator, air conditioners, geysers, etc., mostly comes with an inbuilt stabilizer that manages power for individual equipment. However, your home theatre system is not protected, and dirty electricity can easily affect it.
Thatís why experts recommend plugging your home theatre devices into the home theatre power manager. It not only protects your devices but also provides other advantages. Letís understand them in detail.
What benefits of having a home theatre power manager?
A power manager acts as a power stabilizer and protects your devices. It acts as a shield and provides you with much-needed security. Here is the type of protection it provides.
- Nowadays, almost everyone owns a smartphone, laptop, or computer, which is why dirty electricity is ordinary. It can easily blow up your systems, but a home theatre power manager protects them from destruction.
- If you live in unfavorable weather conditions, like where lightning strikes are joint, you must have a power manager for your home theatre. It provides much-needed safety and adds a long life to your gadgets.
- Another problem caused by dirty electricity is the normal mode noise that is usually responsible for the poor hearing experience. If you hear a popping or humming sound similar to a hair dryer upon switching on your speakers, your devices suffer from dirty electricity. A home theatre power manager will help you to filter out those sounds and provides an uninterrupted hearing experience.
How to select the best home theatre power manager for yourself?
We already have mentioned the list of best power managers that fall within a budget, but please consider these factors before purchasing them.
- Several outlets Ė This device resembles an extension board. It comes with multiple sockets to plug in your home theatre systems. A product with more outlets will cost you more, and you often donít need too many outlets for personal use. So, choose wisely.
- Type of voltage Ė Every region receives a different kind of voltage. You must check the voltage rating of the electricity you receive at your place. You will find options for 120V and 240V.
- Length of the power cable Ė You need to connect your home theatre power manager to the power supply of your house. Select a convenient cable size, so you donít have to add extensions.
Once you figure out all these things, browse the fantastic options below to choose the best suitable product for yourself.
1. Panamax MR4300 Power Line Conditioner and Surge Protector
Panamax is a famous company that provides top-quality products in multiple price ranges. This premium budget product includes the AVM (Automatic Voltage Monitoring) technology that delivers level 3 noise filtration. It will eliminate dirty electricity and will enhance your listening experience.
- Includes nine power outlets that allow the plugin of multiple sockets simultaneously.
- Has a circuit breaker of 15 Ampere.
- Uses AVM technology with level 3 noise filtration.
- Sleek and modern design that easily matches your home theatre system.
- Has a LED display for easy controllability.
- They are covered under a lifetime warranty.
Itís expensive but, of course, a one-time investment. It includes everything you can expect from a home theatre power manager system.
2. Furman PL-8C 15 Amp, Advanced Level Power Conditioning
It is an excellent pick for people looking for quality at a discounted price. The company claims that it is a professional power manager that is great for home and commercial use. You can plug in your home equipment, home theatre systems, DJ equipment, home recording systems, and pro audio rigs. It can manage them all.
- Has nine power outlets with LED light indicators.
- It comes with SMP technology that delivers the best surge and spike protection.
- Includes isolated outlet banks and 15 AMP ratings.
- It has a voltage shutdown circuitry system.
- I got excellent 4.8-star ratings out of 5.
- Provides premium functions within a budget.
The biggest issue with this product is that it lacks USB charging ports. Overall, itís a fantastic product to go with.
3. †Soundavo PMX-6600 Professional Audio Power Conditioner/Surge Sequencer
Another premium product for those willing to invest in a good quality home theatre power manager system. The product has a bulky design and is best suitable if you have multiple audio and video devices in your home theatre system. It would be an excellent product for managing a big hall, event, or commercial use.
- Has 14 protected power outletsótwelve at the back and two at the front.
- Includes a digital display that indicates all necessary information.
- Two USB charging ports and EMI, RFI filtering.
- It also comes with a sequencer function.
- It goes beyond managing power, including electromagnetic interference filtering and radio frequency interference, which provides an uninterrupted listening experience.
- Multiple sophisticated ports to plugin many devices at the same time.
- Got excellent ratings of 4.6 stars out of 5.
The product is expensive and comes with a bulky design. It may not be suitable for regular use, but it will surely be an excellent product for those who deal with bulky equipment.
4. Belkin 12-Outlet Prof. 4320 Joules SurgeMaster
The cheapest product on this list. It lacks the features of a premium product but is a good product for home use. It solves the essential requirement and is much better than plugging in directly to your home’s power supply.
- Twelve power outlets to plug in multiple devices at the same time.
- Detachable magnetic cord for a tangle-free experience.
- LED indicators for easy understanding and simple design.
- A value-for-money product. Provides multiple features at minimum cost.
- I got an excellent 4.9-star rating.
- People love it. Positive comments reveal that it solves the fundamental problem and is a value-for-money product.
The device is not covered under any warranty. If anything happens, you need to get it repaired on your own. Itís pretty justified for the price they are offering.
5. Tripp Lite Isobar 10 Outlet Audio/Video Surge Protector
Another budget-friendly product. It is not as cheap as the one above. However, the compact design and added features make it worth investing in. The product is best suitable for both home and commercial use.
- Includes ten power outlets to plug in multiple devices simultaneously.
- Provide premium protection with a built-in modem.
- 8-foot-long AC power cord with a 12 Ampere circuit breaker.
- It is covered under a lifetime warranty with $5,00,000 insurance.
- It efficiently protects any electronic device from power surges.
- People voted positively about the product. Got 4.8-star ratings.
The product is not suitable for Gigabit Ethernet; otherwise, itís a great option that provides the required premium features within a budget.
6. Panamax MR4000 8-Outlet Home Theatre Power Management
As mentioned, Panamax provides products in multiple price ranges. This is a budget-friendly product for those looking for a branded product but unwilling to invest a considerable amount for various reasons. It is a great pick; it lacks multiple features of expensive products but will solve the fundamental problems.
- Long power cord for a hassle-free experience.
- Uses Automatic Voltage Monitoring technology for advanced protection.
- It has eight power outlets and noise filtration to enhance the listening experience.
- They are covered under a $5,000,000 equipment protection policy for a limited lifetime.
- A budget-friendly option that provides the most premium feature at a nominal price.
- The company has a 30-years of experience in delivering quality products.
The biggest drawback is that it doesnít include a USB charging port. Otherwise, itís the best overall budget-friendly product, great for those unwilling to compromise quality for a price. Also, the product lacks images on Amazon; please check them on Google or the company website.
Many people donít believe in using a home theatre power manager system – they have their fair statement, but we highly recommend you use one. You invest a lot in getting the best quality home theatre system, but it might get blown out of ignorance.
A power manager helps you eliminate dirty electricity and provides stability to your electronic gadgets. Some even come with a noise filtration technology that removes the popping and humming sound. Increase your overall listening experience.
We mentioned all excellent products for all budget types. They all have good ratings, and people love them. If you have any doubts about the topic, please leave them below, and we will try to answer them as soon as possible.