Hearing aids are complex electronic devices. They require special attention and care. Beginners think that once the devices are set up, they can use their hearing aids just like music headphones, which require no care at all. But that’s wrong! You must wear and care for them properly, given the seasonal climate, to hear great and prolong the life of your medical devices. Are you planning a great summer vacation near the sea or at thÑƒ ocean. Then prepare for vacation so that nothing will spoil your mood!
Why care for hearing aids?
Hearing aids are an essential tool for improving the quality of life for people with hearing loss. They help people to hear and understand sounds to return to an active and happy life. However, hearing aids require regular care and maintenance to keep them working at their best.
“Taking care of your hearing aids is crucial to their performance and longevity.” – Dr. Craig Kasper, Au.D.
Unfortunately, not all users wear and care for their devices correctly. At the same time, those Americans who follow the recommendations of their audiologists get the best results. Let’s take a look at the benefits they receive.
- Extended Life: Regular hearing aid care and replacement of hearing aid supplies prolong their lifespan. Cleaning and maintaining your hearing aids prevents possible breakdowns
- Improving sound quality. Regular cleaning and maintenance of your hearing aids help keep sound quality at a high level. Clean devices produce much cleaner sound
- Improved comfort. Clean and properly working hearing aids are more comfortable to wear. They do not cause discomfort or pain in the ears
- Improved hygiene. Regular hearing aid care helps keep your ears hygienic. Do you often clean your devices with hearing cleaning tools? Amazing! Then you significantly reduce the possibility of developing infections and other hearing problems
Thus, proper use and care of hearing aids are important factors in extending their lifespan and improving sound quality in any acoustic environment.
What factors are destructive to hearing aids?
Hearing aids are sophisticated electronic devices. They return the ability to hear and understand external sounds. Like all electronic devices, they are susceptible to the damaging effects of various factors that negatively affect medical devices. What are the most detrimental effects for them?
- Water. Hearing aids should not come in contact with water, as water can damage the electronics. Do not wear your hearing instruments while swimming in the pool, ocean, or other body of water
- Dust and dirt. Dust and dirt can build up in your hearing aids, which can lead to hearing aid damage. Hearing care professionals recommend cleaning your hearing aids regularly with special tools and wipes
- Heat and humidity. High heat and humidity can damage your hearing aids, as can water. Therefore, even your sweat in hot weather can damage your devices
- Mechanical damage. Dropping and hitting hard surfaces can damage or even break your devices
- Improper use. It can lead to hearing aid malfunction. Many users forget this important point. Therefore, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions for your model before using it
Hearing aids are expensive devices. Their purchase is an investment in your health. Protect them from damage and other negative environmental factors.
Hearing aid care tips for summer
Summer is a time of vacations, travel, and outdoor activities. However, for those who use hearing aids, summer can be a serious challenge. High temperatures, humidity, dust, and dirt can damage medical devices, which can spoil the experience of a long-awaited vacation!
Are you wearing hearing aids daily and preparing for a great vacation this summer? Then prepare in advance and take a close look at the audiologists’ recommendations for proper use and care of your devices during your vacation.
How do I protect my devices while on vacation?
Hearing aids are indispensable aid for people with hearing loss. But when vacationing in a body of water (hotel pool, seashore, or ocean) they are at risk of malfunctioning due to various environmental factors. Consider a few tips to protect your devices and vacation!
- Avoid contact with water. Salt water can damage the electronics of your hearing instruments. Therefore, do not dive into the water with them. If you plan to swim, remove your hearing instruments and put them in their protective case
- Use a protective case. There are special cases for hearing aids. They protect them from water, sand, and other contaminants. Get one before you go to the seaside and use it when you are not using your hearing aids
- Avoid direct sunlight. High temperatures and direct sunlight can damage your hearing aids. Therefore, do not leave them in direct sunlight and keep them in a cool place
- Avoid contact with creams. Many creams can damage your hearing aids. Therefore, do not use creams near your ears. And before applying creams to your body, remove your devices and put them in a safe place
- Clean your hearing instruments regularly. Hearing aids can become dirty quickly when you are resting. Clean them regularly with special tools and wipes to avoid the accumulation of sand, dust, and other dirt
How do I store my hearing aids properly in hot weather?
Storing your hearing aids is just as important as protecting them from sunlight or water. Be aware of the temperature. Hearing aids should not be stored in excessively hot places, such as a car. High temperatures can damage the battery and other components of the device. Therefore, if you plan to leave your hearing aids in the car, make sure they are in a cool place, such as the glove compartment.
The second thing to consider is humidity. High humidity can also damage hearing aids, especially their microphones and voice coils. Use a special case or pouch to store your hearing aids. This’ll also protect the devices from sand, dust, and other dirt.
Another important note is to keep your devices out of the reach of children and pets. Such a precaution will protect your hearing aids from mechanical and other damage. It is also a safety issue for children. After all, devices have small parts (like batteries) that can harm them if swallowed.
Proper storage of your hearing instruments in hot weather is very important to maintain their performance and lifespan. Be sure to follow the above tips. It’ll help to keep them in good condition. Enjoy clear, crisp sound throughout your holiday!