When kickstarting a website, you need a domain name. While getting a domain name registration isn’t free, it doesn’t mean that you need to spend a crazy amount of money to obtain it. Keep reading to find how to get a cheap domain name registration.
If you are looking for tips to save your money when registering a domain name, keep reading. In this article, you’ll learn the four tips for how to get cheap domain name registration and avoid a string of unnecessary costs.
1. Choose Your Domain Name
A good domain name must consist of no more than 15 characters. Thus, when choosing a domain, you have to keep it short and easy to spell to make it memorable. Making your domain easy to remember also means staying away from numbers and symbols.
On top of that, ensure your chosen domain isn’t taken. Buying a domain that someone else has registered can be very expensive. Therefore, once you’ve had a good domain name in mind, always check if it’s available.
Use a domain checker tool to help you find out if you can own your chosen domain. Go to a domain checker, like the one provided by Hostinger, and type in your domain name onto its browser. Click Enter, and the tool will tell you whether or not it’s available, and provide alternatives if it is.
2. Choose Your TLD
Top-Level Domain (TLD) is the extension you put at the end of your domain name. Some of the most popular TLDs are .co, .net, and .com. However, these popular TLDs come at high prices. Thus, you can expect to pay more for .com than .biz.
On top of that, many new TLDs have become more favored. One of the perks of using the new TLDs is that people can easily recognize your business. For example, a website using .tech must be dealing with technology, and one using .store must be an online store.
There are many TLDs you can choose from. Keep in mind that the more popular a TLD is, the more likely it gets to be more expensive. Therefore, conduct your research thoroughly to get the most cost-effective one without compromising your site’s intent.
3. Choose a Domain Registrar With Good Value for Money
When registering your domain name, you need to find a reliable domain registrar. There are hundreds of domain registrars available. Each of them comes with different offers. Also, some registrars often pack add-on or services that will add to hidden costs.
The best way to go with a registrar is to ensure if it gets you 24/7 customer service. From there, you can dig for more information. Here’s a checklist:
- Ask about the renewal process. Is it automated, or you need to go with specific procedures.
- Find out about the renewal costs. Most domain registrars offer promotion costs for domain registration. But, how much does the domain renewal cost?
- Note if there’s free domain parking. If you still want to develop your idea around your website, this is an excellent service to look for. Parking a domain means securing a domain for later use.
4. Select the Right Plan for You
Buying a domain for a year is often more expensive than buying it for a more extended period. This is because you don’t have to pay the renewal cost yearly. Therefore, consider purchasing for two years or more.
Here are other reasons to go with a multi-year domain name registration:
- Postpone expiration date. You need to renew your domain annually. However, renewal costs are often more expensive than registration costs. When it comes to multi-year registration, you only have to renew it when it’s due. So, you can save more money.
- Prevent losing it. Suppose you don’t renew your domain. In this case, you risk losing it to your competitors. Getting your domain back is costly, and that’s not what we’re looking for. On top of that, someone may use your domain for unethical purposes. In that case, your domain will lose its reliability, forcing you to get a new one.
- Boost Google SEO. Your commitment to your domain name tells Google that your site isn’t a spam website. Keeping your site active by providing killer content also gets you to attain Google’s trust. As a result, Google will reward you with higher rankings.
Those are the four tips to getting an excellent yet affordable domain name for your website. Now, it’s your time to put the ideas into realization. With the right domain, we’re sure that you will be ready to kickstart your website and shine.