Chewy, gooey, and perfect rice crispy treats are all we want in our lives. Although the dessert can be made in different ways, the best method is to make it in a gourmet manner, which is what we are going to explain to you here.
So, you ate the famous dessert somewhere and liked it so much that you want to make it yourself at home. Whether it is the first time you are trying this recipe, or you have earlier tried and were not satisfied enough, this recipe is totally for you. It might sometimes turn out to be difficult for you to make this since it becomes hard in some cases. This is why we are here to tell you the easiest recipe for how to make rice crispy treats. Keep reading to make the most delicious dessert you have ever made!
The Best Dessert – Rice Crispy Treats
A classic recipe is one thing and a twist on it is another. If you fell in love with the dessert, you will definitely fall for this one, too. How to make rice crispy treats is an easy task, if done the right way. Many of you may mess up with the whole thing, which is why we will be explaining everything in detail. Also, do you know how to cook brown rice? You can read it here.
In this recipe, you will find less of lunchbox feel and more of gourmet. To make the mouth-watering soft and crispy dish, we are going to use more butter than usual recipes, preferably European butter. Lots of additional marshmallows make an appearance as does real vanilla extract. When you taste the chewy and soft dessert that is full of flavor, there is no going back.
You may also add a handful of sprinkles to the recipe to get additional texture and color. For this, we have used nonpareils here, since many people don’t like the extra crunchiness of these rice crispy treats. You may use whatever suits you the best whether it is jimmies or no sprinkles at all.
The Recipe for the Perfect Rice Crispy Treats
Well, finally, your recipe is here. To make the gourmet rice crispy treats that is super soft and is full of sprinkles and marshmallows, use the mentioned ingredients and bake them in the given manner.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 20 cubes
- 3 tablespoons of colored sprinkles (optional)
- 6 cups of rice crispy cereal (approximately 175 grams)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 15 oz miniature marshmallows (This is usually 1½ bags, i.e., 425 grams)
- 6 tablespoons of European salted butter (You can also use plain salted butter if this is not available)
How to make Rice Crispy Treats?
- For the preparation, line a 13×9 pan using wax paper and keep it aside.
- Put butter in a saucepan over low or medium-low heat. Occasionally stir until the butter melts completely.
- Add one bag (10 oz) of marshmallows and stir until it melts. Keep the heat below medium and stir regularly. The low heat will take marshmallows a little more time to melt but keeping the heat high may lead to hard rice crispy treats.
- Add vanilla extract and stir well. You may then add the remaining marshmallows and rice crispy cereal. Keep stirring until all the ingredients combine and as soon as the recently added marshmallows begin to melt.
- Eventually, scatter the sprinkles over the mixture and stir for a short while to mix them.
- Immediately transfer the whole mixture to the earlier prepared 13×9 pan. Use your hands or a silicone spatula to gently spread the rice crispy treats evenly into the pan. Make sure to not pack them tightly or you will end up with hard rice crispy treats.
- Keep the rice crispy treats aside to allow them to cool completely at room temperature before serving and even cutting – approximately 30 to 60 minutes.
Nutrition Value: 1 Cube of Serving
Vitamin C- 6%
Vitamin A- 9%
Saturated Fat- 3g
Calories: 99 kcal
Your long awaited dish is now ready!
Tips for the Best Rice Crispy Treats
Although the dish is very easy to make, for some of you, the rice crispy treats may end up being hard. This is why we are mentioning some tips so that you get the best rice crispy treats – chewy, soft, and crispy!
- We do not say that you must use European butter. However, it is suggested to use it because of the flavor it provides to baked dishes. If this is not available to you, then you do not need to worry – your recipe will also be good with plain salted butter. Both kinds of butter work but the European is just a better alternative. Though, with plain butter also, your rice treats will be amazingly delicious if they are cooked in the right way. Following the tips mentioned by us will definitely help you in making your dish perfect.
- Always keep the heat either on medium-low or completely low. Have you ever made a marshmallow in the microwave that seemed to be baked sufficiently but was hard enough to break your teeth? Yes, that is exactly what we are talking about. If your marshmallow is exposed to heat too much, then this is what will happen. You do not want hard rock rice crispy treats, right?
- Don’t be stingy while adding marshmallows. While making rice crispy treats, the concept of more the merrier surely applies. It is because marshmallow will make sure your rice crispy treats don’t fall apart. Always make sure to use at least one and a half cups of marshmallows. To make the treats more marshmallowy, keep the ratio of marshmallows and cereal equal, i.e. 1:1.
- Always remember to pick a fresh bag of marshmallows before cooking. The older ones tend to get dry and hard on the outside. Even during heating, old marshmallows will become just one blob while fresh marshmallows will be soft and gooey. In any way, old marshmallows are not good and will not give you results as amazing as the new marshmallows. Hence, take care of this point so that you end in making a perfect treat for yourself and your guests.
- To make your crispies more delectable, try adding pumpkin spice or Nutella. You can even add choco chips, peanut butter, crumbled bacon or malt balls. Add in your favorite flavor to make your rice crispy treats more interesting.
- Add sprinkles in the end and stir gently. Else, the color would just go away.
- Do not just cram the dessert into a pan. Instead, softly spread them into a prepared pan evenly. Also, remember, if you pack the treats too tightly, they may end up being denser than required. Spreading them completely, without packing them at all, is also an option. Although this way, they may look non-uniform, they will taste exactly as you want.
- The rice crispy treats taste the best within three days of its making. It is because the texture of these delicacies becomes hard from the soft one. So, make sure to consume it within seventy-two hours for the best experience.
- To make eating them even more fun, you can shape your rice crispy treats into whatever you like while they are still bendable. You can even make ice cream sandwich using them or shape them into popsicle if you love ice-creams.
Why are your Rice Crispy Treats Hard?
Even if you are completely aware of how to make rice crispy treats, you may end up with hard rice crispy treats. And you may not like those hard rice treats as they are meant to be softer and crispier. We are going to explain to you why they may turn hard so that you know what all the things you need to take care of when you are making these the next time.
The main culprit of hard rice crispy treats is the heat. More the heat, harder the treats. This is why we have earlier mentioned in the tips to keep the heat at low or medium-low. When the marshmallows are exposed to a lot of heat, they will harden once they are cool. You may be excited to eat them up and hence increase the heat. However, isn’t it better to wait a little more than ending up with hard rice crispy treats?
The rice crispy treat also comes out hard when they are made using old marshmallows. As explained earlier, older marshmallows become hard on the outside and less stretchy on the inside. The desired texture might not be obtained by using old marshmallows.
Another thing, which we have already mentioned in the tips, is that packing the rice crispy treats too tightly may turn out your dessert to be hard. You might be aware of how to make rice crispy treats at their best but eventually end up packing them tightly. You may spread everything into the pan gently using a silicone spatula.
Should You refrigerate the Rice Crispy Treats?
Many people ask if they should refrigerate their rice crispy treats. The answer is NO. In fact, it is recommended that one must not refrigerate their rice crispy treats to get the best texture and flavor. Refrigerating these may make them brittle and too hard and even dry them out.
Now that you have learned how to make rice crispy treats at their best, would you not make them for your children, friends, and relatives? After all, it is just a matter of 20 minutes. They should also know about how amazing cook you are. Do not forget, the gourmet rice crispy treats recipe is your secret recipe.
Incoming search terms:
- marshmallows rice krispie treat trademark marks