DC infrastructures can occupy hectares of territory. Proper optimization and space allocation help save space and accommodate hardware effectively. Thus, the issue of efficient space management in DCs is topical and requires particular consideration to achieve the best possible ergonomics. Correct allocation of furniture in server rooms also affects other aspects of DC functioning, such as cooling, security, heat exchange, cable routine, etc. This is why it’s important to consider this aspect at the stage of planning a DC layout.
Although the issue seems to be troublesome, it’s quite easy to set up a server infrastructure if you have a clear guide in your head. Below, we’re going to provide readers with a detailed guide with a precise explanation of each stage.
Table of Contents
What are Wall-Mount Server Racks?
A wall-mount network rack is a specialized metal construction designed for fastening to vertical surfaces. In most cases, constructions are enclosed, but open-frame bodies are also produced. Enclosures are attached to walls with high-load dowels. Due to their installation feature, the load capacity is limited.
In comparison with traditional floor-standing models, wall-mount constructions have the following peculiarities:
- more compact designs;
- saving floor space due to fastening to vertical surfaces;
- reinforced dowels to carry hardware securely;
- smaller size due to limited capacity.
A wall-mount network rack is used to house and support IT equipment. Such models are ideal for small and mid-sized server systems and installation in rooms with limited space. Such solutions are also perfect if you need to place a server cabinet in a public place (such as a hospital, a store, or a bank). Such solutions allow for limiting unauthorized access and damage attempts and increasing equipment protection.
Key Benefits of Wall-Mounted Server Racks
Although limited in carrying capacity, such bodies are beneficial since they allow for accommodating more devices over a small territory. Besides, they have advanced ventilation and cabling solutions to guarantee reliable and long-term storage and proper operation. Here are the main advantages of wall-mount server racks:
- Space saving. Wall-fastened constructions save space, which is why they are perfect for limited-space environments.
- Convenience and accessibility. Quite frequently removable side panels with latches or sliding shelves are used to guarantee easy access to all components and simplify maintenance.
- Enhanced security. It’s possible to hand such enclosures high to prevent physical damage and unauthorized access.
- Improved airflow and cooling efficiency. Enclosures have all the needed holes for air circulation. For instance, perforation on doors is used to ensure continuous air circulation.
- Cost-effectiveness. Such models cost less since less material is needed for their production. Yet, even more financial benefits flow from their utilization. They feature energy efficiency. Also, smaller rooms are rented to accommodate such infrastructures.
Considerations When Choosing Wall-Mounted Server Racks
Now, let’s get down to the guide on how to select the best wall-mounted data cabinet for your case. Make sure to assess the following aspects to find an appropriate model:
- Size and weight capacity. First of all, make sure to evaluate the maximum carrying capacity of the rack and compare it with the weight of your IT system. Exceeding the limit will inevitably lead to breakdown and hardware damage. So, never exceed to allowed weight capacity.
- Material and build quality. Most enclosures are produced from metal. However, it can be of different thicknesses. Check its thickness and durability parameters.
- Compatibility with equipment. Pay due attention to construction features to ensure that proper fastening solutions are provided. The thing is that models differ in size, namely width, height, and depth. Make sure that your hardware fits the chosen cabinets in terms of these dimensions.
Selecting a suitable model is not an easy and quick task. Make sure to take time to evaluate several solutions and compare them. By keeping in mind these criteria, you’ll succeed in this duty.
Since a wall-mount data rack is fastened to vertical surfaces, you’ll likely need assistance. Anyway, mounting constructions to walls is not an easy task. Generally, take into account the following tips to simplify the process:
- Find dowels of suitable load capacity. If they are not in the installation set, make sure to pick suitable dowels to prevent damage.
- Select the needed height. Find the best height to install the enclosure so that it does not hinder people.
- Make holes in the wall and put dowels in. Check their reliability and strength.
- Put an empty cabinet on the dowels.
- Fill the enclosure with equipment.
- Set up a ventilation system.
- Ensure proper cabling.
- Document the layout to simplify further maintenance.
In most cases, several employees are attracted to this task to cope with it quickly and effectively. At least two specialists are needed to install such constructions. Turn to professional assistance if you’re not competent in server cabinet setup because any failure in mounting will lead to damage and financial expenses.
Use Cases and Applications
As mentioned above, the network cabinet wall-mount constructions are perfect in two cases:
- when the room space is limited, and there is the need to accommodate a large number of devices over a small territory;
- when it’s necessary to secure equipment from physical impacts from the outside and unauthorized access chasing security reasons.
Based on these causes, wall-mount models are frequently preferable in public places. These are banks, stores, hospitals, retail environments, educational institutions, gyms, etc. Such bodies can also be installed in small and home offices.
Maintenance and Upkeep
The peculiarity of installation poses some difficulties for maintenance since the staff cannot access cabinets from all sides. Moreover, in many cases, they are hanged too high. Thus, it’s important to foresee maintenance opportunities at the stage of server layout organization. Think about the way technicians will reach components. The following solutions are popular in such cases:
- the use of sliding shelves to get devices out of the enclosure easily;
- the use of removable side panels (locked with the help of latches);
- particular equipment layout by placing valuable and frequently maintained components closer to doors or walls.
Network equipment requires regular maintenance and monitoring to guarantee smooth and continuous functioning. Thus, the issue of proper layout development is vital. Easy access to devices speeds up the maintenance process and reduces downtime.
Wall-fastened constructions come as an excellent solution for limited environments and public spaces. They have a lot of benefits and provide reliable storage for IT hardware. The key thing is to pick a proper model. Our guide helps avoid mistakes and find the best enclosure for your system.