YouTube serves as a huge platform for earning money; so massive that every day, 5 billion YouTube videos are watched. Many of you must be following YouTubers and have an idea about their earnings. Several YouTubers share their lifestyle which gives a hint about their enormous income. This often generates a question: how to make money on YouTube?
An average session of YouTube is about 40 minutes and you will see multiple ads during that period. Naturally, YouTube becomes a fruitful investment platform. New and existing businesses pay YouTube to play their ads and YouTubers to advertise their products and services.
Making YouTube videos is becoming the source of income for many business and families. People vlog about their travel, cars, beauty regimes, make-up, cooking, baking, dancing, singing, etc. Many YouTubers earn by just vlogging about their lives and receive high views and comments. Wondering how do they do it? To make videos, you need a free YouTube account, a decent camera, a microphone and video editing software. Then, follow these steps to know how to make money on YouTube.
1. Set up your YouTube channel
- For having a YouTube channel, you need a YouTube account. And if you have a Google account, you can use it as you YouTube account and make a YouTube channel.
- Keep a unique, original, short and easy to remember channel name. If you already have a channel, you can change its name.
- Use relevant keywords which will attract people to your channel. You can add keywords by going to the Advanced section of your Channel Settings.
- This is the first step on how to make money on YouTube.
2. Add content
- Consistency is the key. Upload high-quality content regularly. Keep your video duration short if you can.
- You will not get instant recognition, so, stick to updating your channel regularly. With practice, your videos will get better and you will learn as you progress.
- Improve the quality of your content by using a better lens or camera.
- Try your hand on better editing software.
- You can use a tripod and make sure the light is abundant while shooting. This will improve video stability and brightness, making it appear attractive.
- Tag your videos with relatable keywords. You should also write an eye-catching description. These will ensure that when people search for a relatable content, your video shows up and is seen.
3. Build an audience
- This step is very important as a large audience will yield you more money, and there is no secret to building an audience.
- Make relatable and interesting content regularly to keep people hooked. Share your videos on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Interact with the viewers by replying to their comments and occasionally making videos based on their request. If you address your viewers directly, they will do the promotion of your channel and bring more subscribers.
- Monetizing will allow YouTube to place ads in your video. When people watch ads while watching your video, you will earn money. This is the most important step on how to make money on YouTube
- You enable the option after confirming that your video has no copyrighted material. For enabling, click on ‘My Channel.’ Then, click on ‘Video Manager.’ There you will and the option of enabling monetization.
- But to enable, you need 1000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in 12 months.
- Once you upload a video, you can monetize it by selecting ‘Monetize with Ads’ box.
- If you want to monetize a previously uploaded video, open your Video Manager. Click on ‘$’ sign next to the video which you desire to monetize and select ‘Monetize with Ads’ box.
5. Check your analytics
- Open the ‘Your Channel’ menu.
- Click on Analytics options and view ad performance, estimated earnings, demographics, video views and more.
- Based on these findings, you can modify your content for increased subscription and earning.
6. Market your videos everywhere
- Just uploading your videos on YouTube is not enough. Make a website, start a blog, and use social media sites to share your videos. More views mean more money.
- Embed your videos in blogs and posts for increases chances of getting noticed.
7. Turn into a YouTube partner
- If your channel has 15,000 total watch hours in the last ninety days, you can become a YouTube partner.
- The benefits of becoming a partner include winning prizes based on viewership, accessing more content creation tools, and increased community support and tips.
How much can you earn through YouTube?
Zoella, Logan Paul, PewDiePie have taken how to make money on YouTube game very seriously. They make millions of pounds every year through their channels.
But usually, you can earn $1.5 for every 1,000 views. So, if you have a million views on a video, it will fetch you $1,500.
The popular channels get around $10 for the same.
Ways regarding how to make money on YouTube:
1. Multi-channel networks (MCNs)
MCNs are probably the most feasible method for a newbie to earn through YouTube. MCNs are YouTube channel, management groups. It works just like multiple musicians signing up for a single record label. The benefits of MCNs are:
- Better quality of production
- Enhanced video and audio editing
- Collaboration with other channels or YouTube stars
- Increased chance of marketing your channel
Although there are a few dangers attached to signing with MCNs. They will charge a percentage of your earnings. They will have control over your intellectual property. So, if you have to sign a contract, consider everything and read it carefully before signing.
2. YouTube Partner Program (YPP)
This is the primary method of how to make money on YouTube. All eligible YouTubers use this way of earning. If your content is not copyrighted and original, you have 1000 subscribers, and 4,000 watch hours in 12 months, you can monetize your channel.
Sources through which you can earn money via YPP are: advertisements on YouTube, YouTube Premium subscribers watching your videos, channel memberships and super chats.
If you qualify for the membership, you will be required to have a Google AdSense account. You can choose which types of ads are displayed: overlaying banners or skippable clips.
3. Affiliate Marketing
This is an accessible and easy option to choose from how to make money on YouTube list. All you have to do is post a link in your video’s description. If your viewers use the link to buy the product, you get a commission. Sometimes, you are paid even if a viewer opens that link without purchasing.
It is not uncommon to see YouTubers reviewing products or mentioning a product in their videos. The companies pay popular YouTubers to mention their products in their videos. This subtle way of advertising involves a large sum of money.
5. Enabling Super Chat
Many YouTubers go live frequently. The reason is that if viewers want their comment to be pinned in the chat section for some time, they have to pay a specific amount. The amount straightaway goes to the Youtuber. To enable this option, your channel must be monetized.
Some channels raise money by asking for donations for humanitarian or animal welfare causes. There are people with severe diseases and who require to undergo expensive surgeries who also appeal for donations through their channels.
Popular YouTubers often sell their own merchandises like t-shirts, mugs, accessories, etc. If you have a huge fan following and an active fan base, merchandising can fetch you a lot of money.
What should your ‘how to make money on YouTube’ starter kit contain?
A webcam or a decent camera
No matter how expensive is your phone, the quality of your vlog or video will be best if you have a professional camera. Your videos should be recorded in 1080p HD for best visuals.
Video editing software
iMacs have decent video editing software like iMovie. But software like Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, VEGAS, Lightworks is some of the free software which will provide advanced editing.
A video with unclear audio pisses everyone off. No one likes background noises interrupting your speech. Most cameras come with good microphones but if your camera doesn’t have one then but a good microphone.
Shooting videos in abundant sunlight is always a good idea. Choose a room with large windows and shoot during the day. If you cannot shoot during the day or do not have sunlit rooms, invest in dedicated video lighting. You can add a few bulbs here and there as well.
How a background looks plays an important role while shooting a video. If the background is too loud, your viewers will get distracted. Use a plain background with minimal decoration.
Your content should be on the same subject throughout your channel. You cannot be making one video on baking and the other on teaching maths. The content should also be fresh, trendy and crisp. Do not make videos on overdone subjects, or if you do, make it unique. Only then viewers will enjoy watching your channel.
Over-confidence and nervousness are a big no. Nobody likes to watch someone who is camera shy or is too bold. And another trick is to be yourself. Maintain a conversational tone and a style you are comfortable in. Do not pretend to be someone else as it reflects in the camera and puts off people.
Show your viewers that you love what you are doing. Following what you love doing will never exhaust your content as your interest will never cease in the subject. If you do not love what you are doing then you will soon get bored and abandon your channel.