The nose is one of the most prominent features on your face. It is no surprise that many people think about doing some form of cosmetic surgery on their noses if they do not like how it looks. People usually want to change the size or appearance of their nose for various reasons, including ways that may improve their quality of life, like breathing well. This is why we will discuss rhinoplasty and find out what results to expect nose job before and after.
Rhinoplasty (also known as ?nose job?) is one type of surgery that can help make breathing easier by altering the shape or position of the nasal bones and cartilage. The surgery can also correct structural problems such as a bulbous tip or a curved bridge that may cause breathing difficulties.
In some cases, there can be various reasons for undertaking this surgery. Below the skin layer of our nose, we have many cartilages and some bones. Hence, rhinoplasty can re-arrange the position into three parts. Let?s see the minute details about rhinoplasty to have a better understanding of the nose job.
Table of Contents
Who is eligible for the rhinoplasty?
The eligibility for rhinoplasty depends on several issues. Such as these-
- Initially, the doctor will undergo a test and see whether there is any chance of post-surgery breathing difficulty of the patient willing to undergo the surgery.
- You will have to provide your medical history to the doctor so that they can know any of your earlier surgeries.
- A patient-doctor conversation before surgery will help the doctor understand the patient?s expectations regarding the surgery.
However, rhinoplasty is not an option for people having hemophilia. They should search for non-surgical nose job before and after results.
Nose job before and after
There is a vast difference between before and after nose job. The surgery can be done by either using local or general anesthesia.
If the patient has any preferences, then they should talk about it with the doctor beforehand.
When the doctor performs the surgery, they either transform or remove cartilages or bones inside the nose. Hence, these get modified. If any patient suffers from breathing difficulties due to structural faults in the nose, the doctor can also adjust the nasal septum.
The patient might have to stay overnight in a hospital. Also, once the surgery is done, the patient should maintain an elevated position of their head. This helps in reducing post-surgery bleeding.
The patient might feel nose congestion in the post-surgery period. Also, after several days of the surgery, the patient might experience bleeding and mucous discharge. So, if you wish to undergo rhinoplasty, you should discuss its effects with the concerned doctor.
After the procedure, the surgeon will administer a prolonged numbing agent. This will only relieve slight pain or discomfort. Following surgery, the patient may be given
- a plastic splint to help minimize the new nose structure as it heals
- The patient would be required to keep wearing the splint for 6 to 10 days
- Cotton gauges are crammed into the nostril
- After 48 hours, the patient is free to remove the gauge
- For several weeks, there will be swelling and bruising around the nose and the eyes.
The patient may endure considerable swelling of the face, particularly the day after surgery.
Risks involved in the surgery
No surgery is without risks. So, some of the dangers in rhinoplasty are as follows-
- The patient might find it difficult to wake up from anesthesia.
- Every surgery comes with a possibility of an infection. Hence one should take extra care to keep the region germ-free.
- Breathing can be difficult
- Skin can get discolored
- If the patient is not satisfied with the first operation, they can ask for a second surgery.
Things to remember before and after nose job
You will have to take care of a few things for the nose job before and after. First, however, here are some things which you must keep in your mind:
Before undergoing rhinoplasty
- The patient needs to avoid certain medicines, including ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. Also, they should not take Vitamin E and herbal supplements till two weeks in the pre-surgery period. However, one can continue having acetaminophen and multivitamin.
- If you decide to do a nose job, you will have to quit smoking at least two weeks prior to the surgery. This is because nicotine and tobacco longer the healing process. Hence, it is best if you leave the habit beforehand.
- You should also avoid the damage caused by the sun.
- On the day of the surgery, you will get the prescription for a post-surgery period with some antibiotics and painkillers.
- On the night before surgery, you should not have water or any food.
- Take the help of any family member or relative or friend to help you get home after you are done with the surgery.
- Some of the things which are not mentioned in the prescription but you can actually buy if you want include
- Still softener
- Nasal Spray
On the surgery day
- The only thing that you can intake is the medicine which the doctor has prescribed. Otherwise, stay away from food or water.
- You can take the first herbal supplement dose.
- Avoid the slipover clothes and try some dresses which are loose-fitting and thus leave some space in both front and back sides.
- You should not bring any valuable items to the hospital, and also, no jewelry is allowed on the operation table.
- Avoid wearing nail polish and also do not wear any makeup.
- Glasses can be allowed but never wear contact lenses.
- You should have your Id and insurance card with you to the hospital.
- It would be best if you frequently changed the dressing until the wound heals.
- You might find this a bit uncomfortable, but you cannot blow your nose till two weeks of surgery. Also, you should open your mouth if you sneeze.
- Take help from the nurse and doctors to remove your nasal pack. It would be best if you did this before you left the hospital.
- Use nasal spray to keep the inside of the nose moist. Spraying it twice will be sufficient for the required comfort. It will also help in healing.
- Applying ointment to the stich areas is a must. Also, use your cotton applicator. Also, avoid touching the stitched areas. This might cause infection if you do so.
- Just after the surgery, keep your head in a firmly upright position. After that, you can recline your head back. So, take two pillows while trying to sleep.
- Use ice packs to provide comfort to the regions that have swelled in the post-surgery period. However, avoid using any local company of ice pack.
- Do not munch your foods too heavily; hence avoid chewy food. Also, it would help if you were careful while brushing, requiring a gentle touch. Do not make any rigorous movement of your facial muscles. Also, you might feel a certain kind of numbness in your lips and upper teeth for a week.
- The doctor will remove the nasal cast after a week. Till then, you should not tamper with it. Try to keep the cast dry and pat it softly if it comes in contact with water. Wash face avoiding the cast. So, ask your doctor about the effects of a nose job before and after.
- Avoid any physical activities because that can increase your bleeding and swelling. However, you can resume all of it after four days.
- The patient should stop any heavy weight lifting or training or aerobic training. Straining, heavy lifting, weight training, and aerobic exercises can be resumed after around four weeks. But, don?t swim for two months.
- Try avoiding tanning beds, sun exposure, or sunlamps. This is because heat induces swelling. You can continue avoiding this for around five weeks in the post-surgery period.
- Any glasses or sunglasses might have an impact on your nose bridge. So, in the post-surgery period, avoid wearing them for at least one and a half months. Following this, the doctor will allow you to wear standard specs on your nasal cast. After that, you might wear regular glasses on the cast. But, once they remove it, they will instruct you how to wear the glasses to avoid putting pressure. Thus, it is best if you shift to contact lenses post-surgery
- Don?t panic if you see any kind of swelling on your nose, eye, and upper lip. Give it a week; it will heal by itself. Also, some patients might take around six months to come to the best of their health.
- Never forget to take the medications that the doctor has prescribed.
- After the doctor removes the cast, you can cleanse your skin with soap. Also, you can wear light makeup. If you experience skin discoloration, you can use the products to hide it. But, ask your concerned doctor regarding the usage of makeup regarding nose job before and after.
Benefits of nose job
The nose job is known mainly by people instead of Rhinoplasty. It is a cosmetic procedure for the nose. It can also get reconstructive and done in the correct form. Here are the benefits of a nose job:
The procedures are done to correct the nose’s forms that make it harder to breathe through the nose. The common problem is the deviated septum. The septum is a wall in between nasal passages. If it is crooked, then the nasal passage will become small. In severe cases, the deviated septum can also block the passage altogether. A deviated septum can cause frequent nose bleeds and sinus infections.
Helps to fix a broken nose
It is one of the most prominent of our faces. The nose is the bone that can break due for several reasons. Sports injuries, falls, accidents and fights are the leading cause of the broken nose. A reconstructive nose job can fix the deformities.
Helps you overcome sinus problems
The nose job can also help you to treat the inflammation of the sinus or chronic sinusitis. When the sinus fills and blocks with the fluid, a person attracts the bacteria. If any patient has chronic sinusitis, the surgeon will regularly check them for structural problems in the sinus or nose.
The congenital disabilities also cause a few nasal malformations. Rhinoplasty can also remove them and improve the appearance of the patient. It also gives breathing ability through the nose.
Snoring can become a severe problem. Surprisingly it is the reason for divorce for many couples. It can happen due to a problem in the structure of the nose, such as deviated septum. Going through a nose job can fix the problem.
We, humans, look at other person’s eyes first and then nose. Because the nose is the prominent part of the face, it attracts attention, which can be both bad and good. The symmetrical and straight nose can add to the person’s attractiveness, while the crooked nose can detract from that.
Make you feel more comfortable
An unattractive nose can lower your self-esteem if you are a self-conscious person. But, on the other hand, the symmetrical and attractive nose can boost a person’s confidence with the help of a nose job.
How to heal fast after Rhinoplasty?
For fastening your nose healing process in the few weeks, you must:
- Apply the cool things (notice) under your eyes and to your cheeks
- Avoid the impact to face
- Always be careful not to put much pressure on the nose bridge while wearing sunglasses or eyeglasses
- Always try to keep the head in an elevated position
- Avoid sun exposure
- Do not blow the nose
- Do not live heavyweight
- Take the OTC medicine to reduce pain
When can someone return to activities and work?
It would be best if you always listened to the recommendations of the doctor. It would be best if you asked about the nose job before and after to the doctors.
You can return to school or work in one to two weeks. You can able to pick up light weights and exercise in five weeks. It would be best to keep in mind that you must not lift any heavy weight for four weeks.
When can you see the results?
You will notice the difference in your appearance within the week after the surgery once the splint comes out. It can also take a year to settle in a new shape fully.
While the process is going, normal swelling is very normal. Most people who possess functional Rhinoplasty to fix the medical problems or a deviated septum can notice the improvements in five to six weeks.
Unfortunately, almost 15% of the people need a second surgery for making a few changes after the first one.
When should someone call the doctor?
You must call the doctor if you are experiencing:
- Vomiting or nausea
- Difficulty in breathing
- Uncontrollable nose bleeds
- Severe swelling and pain
- Yellow discharge or fever
Many people go through this Rhinoplasty procedure to fix their nose and other medical conditions. It is entirely safe and secure. But it is crucial to find a doctor who can perform the surgery appropriately. Always record pictures of the nose job before and after to evaluate the difference. Make sure to go through samples before choosing the right doctor.